February 14, 2010

Angel Heart [20]


This movie left me with my jaw open, I just really didn’t see the ending coming; but then again I don’t seek around and try to piece things together, I like getting surprised and shocked, makes everything much more enjoyable. This is in the horror section of the book, it a film noir-y detective movie that deals with faith and voodoo. There are some beautiful shots that creeped the hell out of me, and the dreamlike states were what kept dragging me in; I can see why its in the horror section, its just an all out creepy and intelligent film.
Mr. Angel is a detective with no faith for anything whatsoever and a fear of chickens. I really love his character, he's a klutz and a spaz but manages to somehow be really smooth and badass at times. A hot shot attorney [De Niro] asks for his help to find Johnny Favorite, who owes him some money and disappeared a few years back. Angel is money hungry so he takes the job even though it's like nothing he's ever dealt with before.
Angel enters a village where Johnny's family resided and it’s filled with voodoo and Satanism, after that everything starts going downhill. He ends up in a bunch of trouble, whoever he questions ends up dead, which means everything somehow traces back to him. He’s being framed but he has no clue by who; and the killings are far from inhumane. He can’t seem to find out anything about Favorite, and when he does get close to finding out something, someone ends up dead. He’s scared for his own safety and for those around him, but the money is too good to give up. Considering he doesn’t believe in the voodoo stories, he doesn’t buy into what he does find out, sadly it’s all true and he ends up in the hands of the devil.

No comments:

Post a Comment