February 2, 2010

Citizen Kane [11]


This is the first film in this book that bores me. The whole middle just feels so drawn out to me, maybe just because I’m of the recent generations and we don’t have such a big attention span, we need something to keep us on our toes, to keep us wondering. Don’t get me wrong, I mean, I can still see that there’s a classic here, I’m not totally out of range. I can respect the fact that Orson Welles is truly a mastermind, he played a big part in making  the film noir genre [Hollywood crime dramas, black and white, low lighting, crime feel] well known. He was 25 when he directed, co-wrote, and starred in this film.
There are some great shots in this film, might be what kept me awake. The “deep focus” shot truly is one of my favorites, looks like this

the technique makes it so you can not only see what’s closest to the camera but also what is furthest and in the middle, it draws out this depth feeling; I’ve just always been attracted to it.
This is a story about a famous man who murmured his last word and no one had any idea what it meant. Everyone’s at a rut by it, his friends, co-workers and the press; turns out no one really knew him. Charles Foster Kane was one of the most powerful businessmen out there, but he wasn’t happy. No matter what he did, he couldn’t find the happiness he wanted and so badly craved; something that was torn away from him and could never get back. I like the story, the base of the film, what everything else surrounds but this is my fourth time sitting through it and the middle has never reeled me in. I’m intrigued by the beginning because you get to see who he was, how he started out and what a mess he left with his last word. The ending reels me in because, who’s to think that a man who had been known by some as cruel could want something so innocent?

No comments:

Post a Comment